Filed Under: Culinary Herbs
Herb jellies make unusual spreads for breads and crackers. They can also form the basis for poultry, fish, and meat glazes.
GENERAL RECIPE: INGREDIENTS
- 2 cups packed fresh herb leaves, rinsed and patted dry (see Variations below)
- 2 cups unsweetened apple juice or unsweetened white grape juice
- 2 tablespoons rice or coconut vinegar
- pinch salt
- 3.5 cups sugar
- 3 ounces liquid pectin
GENERAL RECIPE: PROCEDURE
- Have ready a selection of sterilized 8 ounce jelly jars.
- Finely mince the herb leaves and place them into a medium saucepan with the 2 cups of unsweetened apple or white grape juice.
- Bring slowly to a boil, and boil for 10 seconds. Remove from heat; cover and steep for 15 minutes.
- Strain the herb liquid into a large saucepan. Add vinegar, salt, and sugar. Bring the mixture to a hard boil, stirring all the while. As soon as the contents of the saucepan refuse to be stirred down, stir in the pectin.
- Bring pectin-herb mixture to a hard boil that cannot be stirred down. Boil for 1 minute.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Skim off any foam that has risen to the top.
- Pour the hot liquid herb jelly into the 8 ounce jelly jars, leaving 1/2 inch head space in each jar. Seal immediately.
- Basil Jelly: Use 2 cups fresh basil leaves (cinnamon basil, lemon basil, purple-leaved basil, sweet basil, or a combination). After pouring the liquid jelly into the jelly jars, add a pinch of basil flowers to each jar before sealing.
- Fines Herbes Jelly: Use 1/2 cup each fresh parsley, French tarragon, sweet marjoram, and chervil leaves. Nice with chicken or fish.
- Lemon Herb Jelly: Use 1 cup fresh lemon basil leaves, 3/4 cup lemon balm leaves, 1/4 cup lemon thyme leaves, and 2 tablespoons lemon juice in place of the rice or coconut vinegar.
- Hot Salsa Jelly: Use 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves, 1/2 cup parsley or Mexican oregano leaves, 1 clove garlic and 1 large or 2 small jalapeño peppers.
- Italian Herb Jelly: Use 1 cup Italian parsley, 1/2 cup fresh rosemary leaves, 1/2 cup fresh oregano leaves, and 2 cloves garlic.
- Lavender Jelly: Use 1 cup chervil or sweet cicely leaves, 1/2 cup fresh lavender flowers, and 1/2 cup sweet marjoram leaves.
- Mint Jelly: Use 2 cups fresh spearmint leaves.
- Sage Jelly: Use 2 cups fresh garden sage or pineapple sage leaves.